the castle

In 1696, the Alfieri family began works to transform the medieval fortress into a splendid Baroque residence, without excess and with simple lines well-integrated into the landscape. In 1720, an Orangery, a winter garden for the family, was built in front of the residence and decorated with delicate stucco-work by Comacine master masons. The castle was significantly modified again around 1820 to plans drawn up by Ernesto Melano, chief architect to His Majesty Carlo Alberto di Savoia.